Monday, August 13, 2007

Daooooo!!!

Yeah - its Monday the 13th of August - the "morning after" the meteor shower. I got a chance to look at all the images I took of the night sky trying to capture Perseid meteors. As luck would have it - out of 111 images only two had meteor trails and only one was a Perseid! Sigh. Here they be . . .



This one was taken with the 50mm F/1.2 lens - 120 second exposure at f/2.8 ISO 1000. It was more or less centered on the double cluster - very near the radiant. Note that the meteor doesn't appear to originate from said radiant. Strike one.



A 4 minute exposure taken with a Sigma 8mm fisheye - wide open at f/3.5 and ISO 1000. It shows one - and only one - Perseid (highlighted in the box at upper-left.) Ooooh - I'm impressed! NOT!

Visually the shower was pretty impressive. During the four hours I was out (only about a third of the time looking at the sky) I saw a total of 170 meteors. I did notice a few "spurts" when several meteors would flash in the less than a minute, followed by lulls of a minute or two before the next would flash by. This seems to be a common visual impression from earlier showers I've witnessed.

No comments: